Our makerspace features one Glowforge Pro, which is what is known as a CNC laser cutter engraver. The typical cutting area is 12.5″ deep x 20″ wide x 0.5″ tall. However, you can remove the crumb tray and work with items up to 2″ tall using supports. Unfortunately, there are no rotary abilities at the moment so it cannot engrave on rounded objects.
However, Maker13 has multiple laser cutters with much taller work areas for projects that won’t fit in our Glowforge.
What You’ll Need
- JTPL library card in good standing (no outstanding fines or fees)
- Taken the Glowforge Certification Class
- File in
- Your own material, approved by library staff (see below for what you can and can’t use)
The library does not stock or provide materials for use in the Glowforge due to the wide variety of materials it can accommodate. However, library staff must approve your materials if you want to use anything other than the Proofgrade materials sold by Glowforge. You must provide a receipt or tag that states what the item is made of. It is highly recommended that you bring extra material for testing.
|Cuts & Engraves||Engraves Only|
Wood (unstained/unpainted ONLY)
The following materials are not permitted:
- Stained woods
In addition to the official Glowforge Proofgrade materials, here are a few places we’ve bought materials that we know work in the Glowforge:
Remember to keep your materials down to a size that will fit in the Glowforge: 12.5″ deep x 20″ wide x 0.5″ tall
There is no charge to use the Glowforge! However, the library provides a couple of Proofgrade materials to purchase by the sheet if you prefer:
|Acrylic, clear – 12″ x 20″ proofgrade sheet||$10.25 each|
|Plywood – 12″ x 20″ proofgrade sheet||$12.00 each|
Use our Spaces system to book the laser cutter by clicking on “Glowforge Pro” from the left-hand menu or scroll down to spaces starting with “Makerspace.” The online system only allows reservations to be made at least 72 hours in advance!
- You are permitted one two-hour session per day.
Extra time may be granted (at the discretion of staff) if no one is waiting.
- If your project runs over your time limit, we will allow it to continue to print until completion or until the next appointment arrives and is ready to print (whichever occurs first).
- Projects are stopped at closing.
- You have a 15-minute grace period before your reservation is automatically cancelled.
- We strongly encourage you to book ahead of your visit to ensure availability.
Do you want to get more information before you dive in? Then check out some YouTube videos on our equipment: