Standards for Public Behavior
All persons are welcome in the Library. The Jeffersonville Township Public Library seeks to set standards of behavior that conform to the standards of the local community for public places and that support the mission of the Library. These standards ensure the greatest access to the greatest number of people; and assure the safety of library users, library staff, and library resources by spelling out specific behaviors that are not acceptable in the Jeffersonville Township Public Library or on its property.
The Jeffersonville Township Public Library Board reserves the right to eject from the library and to refuse admission to those individuals who violate the rights of the staff or library users, or who create disorder while on library property. The Board empowers library staff with the authority to take specific actions when problem behaviors occur. Staff may call for police assistance to remedy the situation. Repeated violators and those who refuse to leave will be subject to arrest and prosecution under Section 35-43-2-2 of the Indiana Code entitled criminal trespass.
Theft, vandalism, and mutilation of library property are criminal offenses and may be prosecuted. The Jeffersonville Township Public Library reserves the right to inspect all bags, briefcases, backpacks, and other such items when staff has reason to believe these rules may have been violated.
The Library Board further defines inappropriate behavior to include, but is not limited to:
- Illegal activity of any kind in violation of public law
- Abusive, obscene, profane, or threatening language
- Blocking aisles or doorways, or interfering with the free movement of individuals
- Eating except in designated areas; drinks with lids are allowed except in the Indiana Room
- Failure to maintain personal body hygiene which constitutes a public nuisance
- Failure to wear shirt, shoes, and appropriate clothing while in the Library
- Fighting, running, horseplay, loud talking or any noisy behavior
- Intimidation or harassment
- Loitering or sleeping
- Soliciting of any type
- Possession, use, or under the influence of alcohol and illegal drugs
- Sexual misconduct, including exposure, sexual advances, sexual solicitation, sexual harassment, molestation, voyeurism
- Skateboarding or use of roller skates and roller blades
- Use of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, are not allowed in library buildings or on library grounds
- Unruly children and children left unattended
- Use of cellular telephones, radios, CD players, or other listening devices that disturbs others
- Vandalism, damage, theft, or improper use of library property and facilities
- Violation of the library’s Internet use policy
- Parking bicycles in areas other than those designated for bicycle parking
- Animals, except service animals or animals being used in programming, are not allowed in the building
- Improper use of library restrooms or facilities for purposes such as bathing or shaving
Adopted by Library Board April 2, 2002;
revised June 17, 2011; December 4, 2012; November 18, 2014.
Page updated 21 January 2016