The Jeffersonville Township Public Library (JTPL) is now fine free! We no longer charge fines on late items. This ensures that all people have access to library materials and resources, which is our primary purpose as a public library. Here you’ll find information about this new policy and how it affects you.
Why is JTPL going fine free?
- To conform with current fine free trends in a digitally advanced world.
- To encourage prior users to come back to the library and attract new users to utilize the resources and services the library offers.
- To increase access for patrons who cannot currently use our library’s materials and resources.
- To remove barriers that prevent patrons usage due to penalties that could accrue.
- To improve customer service and the patron’s overall library experience.
- To model our neighboring libraries who have changed their policies and are now fine free.
What this means for you
- If you have overdue fines from JTPL that you accrued before we went fine free, you are no longer required to pay these fines.
- You are still responsible for your items. We encourage you to return all items in a timely manner.
- The library will still send you courtesy reminders to return your items.
- You will no longer accrue a daily late fine on overdue materials.
- Past replacement fees for lost or damaged items, replacement library cards, and collection agency fees still apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
When an item is overdue your account will be blocked. Materials that are 20 days overdue from the original due date are marked “LOST” and you will be billed for the replacement cost and processing fee of $4.00 per lost item.
When lost materials of $25.00 or more remain outstanding 60 days from the original due date, your account will then be referred to Unique Management Services (collection agency). A collection fee of $10.00 will be charged to the library account.
If a lost item is returned after being referred to collections, the replacement cost and processing fee will be removed from your account, but the $10.00 collection agency fee will remain.
|Reminder||By Email or Text||2 days before the due date|
|Overdue||By Mail or Email||10 days overdue from the due date|
|Bill||By Mail||20 days overdue from the due date. Patron billed for replacement cost.|
|Collections (Unique Management Services)||60 days overdue from the due date. Patron account is referred to collection agency.|