The Jeffersonville Township Public Library (JTPL) provides a makerspace to support its mission to identify and meet the informational, entertainment, and technological needs of the community, fostering lifelong learning and informed citizenship in a welcoming environment. The use of the JTPL Makerspace is governed by the following policies and procedures.
The Makerspace includes the Recording Studio. Patrons wishing to use the Makerspace, or any equipment contained within it, must read and sign this policy before they may do so.
- The Makerspace may only be used for lawful purposes. The public is prohibited from using the Makerspace equipment to create material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law;
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment;
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the equipment may not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection
- JTPL reserves the right to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate Library policies, including the creation of weapons, obscene materials, or illegal items.
- Patrons must have a valid JTPL library card to use the Makerspace.
- Patrons aged 13 and up may use the Makerspace independently. Patrons aged 12 and under may use the Makerspace if supervised by an adult at all times.
- Patrons must attend a mandatory safety and training certification class in order to use the laser cutter/engraver, 3D printer, vinyl printer, and any future tools/equipment acquired by JTPL that are determined to require such training.
- Each piece of equipment has a separate mandatory training class focusing specifically on that equipment which must be attended once. Afterwards the patron’s certification will be on file.
- Patrons may not use the aforementioned equipment until safety training and certification have been completed.
- Patrons must attend these training sessions in person.
- When using a tool that does not require specific training, the patron is certifying that they are capable of using that tool or equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Makerspace equipment may not be left unattended while in use; a patron aged 13 or older must stay with it at all times.
- JTPL is not responsible for personal property or files.
- Any accidents, including damage to JTPL property, must be reported immediately.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Makerspace.
- The library seeks to recoup material costs by charging fees based on material and machine maintenance costs plus Indiana sales tax. These fees are subject to change. Please consult the fee schedule on our website for current rates.
- Only library-provided materials may be used in the 3D printer and vinyl printer.
- Staff must approve all patron-supplied materials before they are used on machines to reduce the risk of damage to machines or harm to patrons within the Makerspace.
- The patron is responsible to pay any costs for use of machines, materials, and supplies provided by JTPL, and for all loss or damage to JTPL property or clean-up expenses.
- JTPL is not responsible if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly, or does not work. The patron understands that JTPL is not responsible for any manufacturing defects or the quality of workmanship of any of the tools, materials, or equipment supplied by the library.
- Patrons will not modify the Makerspace’s hardware or software, or install new programs onto the computers.
- Library equipment cannot be removed from the Makerspace.
- JTPL reserves the right to display photographs of printed objects on the library’s website and social media. Special consideration for patent or copyright reasons will be considered by the Library Director.
- JTPL reserves the right to deny Makerspace access if a patron violates any part of the Makerspace or any other JTPL policy, or for any other misuse of the space, as determined by library staff.
- JTPL is not responsible for any injuries caused by the improper use of equipment.
- The Makerspace and Recording Studio will be locked when not in use.
- The Makerspace closes 1 hour before the Library closes.
- Patrons must check in with the designated JTPL staff member on duty, using proper ID, and sign the guestbook each time they use the Makerspace.
- Patrons are expected to clean up after themselves, including returning JTPL hardware and supplies to the proper storage area.
- When machines are out of order, staff will attempt to contact patrons with reservations. This courtesy cannot be guaranteed.
- Reservations are required for the following equipment:
- 3D Printer: 4 hours
- Laser Cutter/Engraver: 2 hours
- Vinyl Printer: 2 hours
- Recording Studio: 2 hours
- Digital Conversion Station: 2 hours
- Photography Station: 2 hours
- Reservations may be extended at staff discretion if there is no waiting list.
- There is a 15 minute grace period before reservations are canceled.
- When reserving Makerspace equipment, scheduled Library programs have priority, followed by patrons who have made a reservation ahead of time. If the equipment is not reserved, it will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to staff availability.
- Any work saved on Library computers will be deleted once the computer is turned off and cannot be recovered.
- Patrons must save their files to an external storage device or online storage location.
- This space is provided to promote creativity, innovation, and technology education. The Library encourages patrons to learn new skill sets in this space but does not promote running cottage industries due to extensive use and wear and tear on community equipment.
The Library reserves the right to change this policy at any time.
Approved and adopted by the Library Board of Trustees January 21, 2020.