Exhibits in public library buildings offer the community an opportunity to share in the enjoyment of the visual arts, allows artists and community residents to share creative talents and information, and enhance the visual environment in which library service is delivered.
The library encourages free expression and free access to ideas, both essential elements in a democratic society and does not knowingly discriminate regarding age, race, beliefs, or affiliations.
Artists and exhibitors must consider that the viewing audience will include all ages, levels of sophistication, religious backgrounds, and personal tastes, when judging the appropriateness of their particular exhibit for the public library. The audience is not self selected as in a museum or a commercial art gallery and the exhibit may not be their primary purpose for visiting the library.
Exhibits are offered as a community service and do not carry the endorsement of the Jeffersonville Township Public Library (JTPL). The Library Director and/or the Board of Trustees will make the decision concerning the appropriateness of the exhibit.
Exhibits And Display Spaces Available
- Main Library
- 1st Floor North Display Case
- Two Display Cases outside the Indiana Room
- 2nd Floor Art Gallery
- Clarksville Branch
- Art Gallery outside of Large Meeting/Program Room
- Art Gallery in corridor on the Eastern Boulevard side of building
The following guidelines govern all exhibits and displays at the Jeffersonville Township Public Library, including art gallery exhibitions.
- Exhibits should contribute positively to the Library’s environment and enrich the lives of the Jeffersonville Township community.
- Requests for exhibit space will generally be considered in the order in which they are received, with possible exceptions being made for vital timeliness of a particular display or exhibit.
- The Library reserves the right to limit the size, the number of items, the schedule of any display, and the frequency with which any one individual, artist, or organization may place a display in the Library.
- Exhibits that contain nudity, sexually explicit imagery, or graphic depictions of violence will be refused. If elements of a display are judged inappropriate by the Board of Trustees or the Library Director, the sponsoring individual or organization will be required to remove those elements immediately.
- Exhibits will be limited to a maximum of 90 days. The dates of any display or exhibit will be agreed, arranged and established in advance with the exhibitor.
- All displays and exhibits must include a sign stating the sponsorship of the display or exhibit.
- The individual requesting the display must agree to place the display no earlier than the date requested and must remove the display no later than the final date approved. No materials can/will be stored at the Library beyond the dates approved in the original request unless special arrangements have been made in advance with the Main Library Public Services Librarian or Clarksville Branch Manager. All such requests must be agreed upon in writing.
- Exhibitors are responsible for bringing all necessary supplies.
Installation and removal of exhibits
- Transporting, unloading, hanging and/or setting up exhibits, as well as the later dismantling of same, are the responsibility of the exhibitor, with and under the supervision of the library staff.
- If the exhibitor requires assistance in this effort, it is his/her responsibility to bring someone to assist him/her.
- The library does not have space, nor will it accept responsibility, for storage of the property of exhibitors in the Library building. Therefore, exhibitors are required to deliver and pick up their materials according to the dates established in advance.
- Exhibitors are responsible for removing all packing materials, once the exhibit is hung. The library cannot provide temporary storage space for storage boxes and/or other packing materials.
- Insurance coverage for the value of the exhibited items is the responsibility of the exhibitor. Prior to approval of any exhibit, the library will require the exhibitor to sign a disclaimer releasing the library from any and all responsibility and liability for loss or damage to the items in the exhibit. The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of any items placed on exhibit. Exhibitors must sign the “Exhibit Agreement and Release Form.”
- An inventory of pieces will be submitted to the Main Library Public Services Librarian or Clarksville Branch Manager when the exhibit is set up, and should be checked again upon dismantling of the exhibit.
- Responsibility for any damage to Library property caused by the installation, display, or dismantling and removal of an exhibit will rest with the sponsoring individual or organization.
2nd Floor Art Gallery and Clarksville Branch
The JTPL has space available on the second floor of the main library for hanging art exhibits and in the corridors of the Clarksville Branch.
Local artists must submit a request to display their hanging artwork to the Main Library Public Services Librarian or the Clarksville Branch Manager. Prior to receiving approval for an art exhibit, the artists must make an appointment to meet with these same individuals to review their portfolio or photos of the proposed display items. The library reserves the right to decide the appropriateness of the exhibit material to the public library setting.
- No tape or other adhesives will be allowed to be affixed on the walls, moldings, furnishings or display cases. Similarly, the use of nails, tacks, or staples will not be permitted.
- The Library will, however, provide the use of ladders and hooks necessary for the hanging art system in use at the main library 2nd floor gallery.
- Unless specified, art will be hung only in the public gallery area.
- An inventory of artwork contained in the display will be submitted to the Main Library Public Services Librarian or Clarksville Branch Manager when the exhibit is set up, and should be checked again upon dismantling of the exhibit.
- If materials are for sale, the exhibitor may leave a price list or business cards for people who express an interest in the art. The library shall not be responsible for handling any money from the sale of items on display. Exhibitors who desire to sell items shall include as part of their display information on how to purchase items. Any items sold during a display period shall remain on display until all items are scheduled to be removed.
- The library has the right to remove exhibit materials if they aren’t picked up by the agreed upon date. Exhibit materials may be disposed of if not claimed within 30 days.
- No fees are charged for display spaces. Groups using display spaces may not charge an admission fee or request donations.
- Once the exhibit is installed, changes may be made only with Library approval.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees April 24, 2018;
revised September 18, 2018
Page updated 20 September 2018